Student Blogs - Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley - Carnegie Mellon University

Student Blogs

MS in Software Engineering, Development Management Track Blog

Wondering if a Carnegie Mellon degree is right for you? Read about our students' experiences through the MS in Software Engineering, Development Track program.

Linda is a first year part-time student in Carnegie Mellon's MS Software Engineering, Development Management track. She is a Software Developer at Electronic Arts in Redwood Shores, CA. She likes to dance and sing and her favorite videogame is The Beatles RockBand. She enjoys Indian, Japanese, Thai, Italian and Mexican food. She comes from Mexico City, and has being living in CA for the past two years.
Pras Sarkar is a second-year part-time student in the MS Software Engineering Development Management track. He works in Yahoo! Labs. His responsibilities include materializing ideas and concepts into engaging prototypes and demos, some of which ultimately mature into products that Yahoo! visitors use everyday. He is interested in emerging web technologies, social interaction over digital mediums, and creative interfaces that push the boundaries of human computer interaction.
Vineet is a Lead Developer at Boeing and a second year grad student in the part-time MS Software Engineering, Development Management program. He loves reading, playing with his daughter and pursuing the religious aspect of his life. He is an active volunteer of Vedic Cultural Center, a Seattle-based organization dedicated to promote the Vedic (ancient Indian) arts, culture, music and dance.
Truc is a second year part-time student in Carnegie Mellon's MS Software Engineering, Development Management track. She is a Software Engineer at Lockheed Martin in Sunnyvale, CA. She loves food and enjoys anything related to food: going to different restaurants, cooking, watching the Food Network, and of course, eating!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Introducing Linda Avendano

When I first came to Silicon Valley to start working for my company, I learned very quickly that even though I had the technical skills for my position, I lacked management and teamwork experience. As a programmer, I was always working alone on my code, and didn’t care about collaborating or working in partnership with my colleagues. But as soon as I got involved with the members of my team, I knew that I needed to learn more about team building and managerial skills. Carnegie Mellon’s program was the right choice for me, as it includes technical and management courses. I needed to upgrade my technical skills and, at the same time, learn how to cooperate with my peers.

When I attended an information session, and learned that most of the tasks during the program were done within a team, I made up my mind and decided to apply for this program. Learning how to collaborate in teams was one of the most appealing aspects of this program. It has always been very hard for me to team up with other people, especially if they did not come from a technical background. However, in my current job, I have to deal with as many non-technical employees as technical ones. Carnegie Mellon provides an environment to experience what it is like to act as a team, to learn about sharing, support, commitment and team success.

It has been four weeks since I started the program, and I have been working with other 3 classmates. So far my team has been doing a great job. We have a lot of support from the faculty to help us build a collaborative and supportive environment to work. This has helped me to immediately apply this knowledge to my team at work. Even though you might think that knowing how to collaborate in teams is not a key objective in the work place, it is. At CMU, you have an opportunity to gain these skills as almost 70% of the activities within the program are focused on learning how to team up with your classmates.

posted by Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley @ 11:48 AM 

1 Comments:
Blogger My Family said...

Engage in Cost-free. Perform golf ball seeing that Michael jordan, score this tremendous jar with us sports.US Sports Games Play icehockey or even hockey recreations.

April 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts